Monday, June 24, 2013

Smith Reunion 2013- Lodge Grass, MT

This year we got to go to Lodge Grass, MT for the Smith family reunion to see the old family homestead! 

Making some banana muffins for the trip
Jack helped with the laundry :)
On the road again!!!
Brook practiced some writing, Ellie played on the iPad, Jack caught some Z's, I tried to block the sun from my face, and Dad drove. And Colorado was being beautiful, as usual :)
Finally, some cousins!!! We met up in Sheridan, WY for a picnic lunch
We got to see the house Neenaw grew up in. She was living here when she met Gran.
Then it was on to Lodge Grass to visit the homestead! Ben was particularly thrilled to see the trestle bridge right on the property. He and Jack watched a few trains go by.
More cousins!! Hooray!
I was very excited to finally get to shoot our Christmas present! The 12 gauge shotgun had some kick! My shoulder was a little sore afterward, but I gave that cow-pie what it had coming!
Saturday morning, we headed into Hardin, MT to enjoy the Little Big Horn Days Parade
Miraculously, no injuries were sustained.
Picnicking with the Aunt Ramona Smiths!
Ellie had a little run in with the cattle guard on the ranch- she straddled it and whacked her face on the bars- poor kid! City girls have a hard time workin those cattle guards!
Best buds!
After the parade, we went to Lodge Grass to see the town and the cemetery where Great Grandparents Maurice Warfield Smith and Ruby Valentine Fox Smith were buried. They are such an important part of our heritage- hard workers and very religious. I am so lucky to come from such wonderful people!
The kids decorated the headstone
And partied in Uncle Matt's RV
Neenaw got to meet Jack for the first time :)
My grandfather, William Ricketts Smith, helped build this cabin for his parents. He was such a hard working, smart, honest man. I miss him so much and I hope I make him proud.
I love these boys
Goodbye, Smith Homestead! We are thankful for you!

No comments: